Wednesday, March 23, 2011

1998 Avalon radio, clock, temp, mirror adjustment failure



Just got a 1998 Avalon that runs great, but has a few electrical issues that seem to be related. The outside mirror controls, digital clock, outside temp display, cig lighter, and radio don't work - Yes I've checked (visually and with a meter) both fuses, one by the steering column and the other under the hood.



I just got the car from my sister and she said that the radio (and other stuff) worked a few years ago, but not since then. The person she bought it from had installed an aftermarket radio and put the OEM unit back when he sold it to her. I've checked the wiring harnesses at the radio head and at the amp and they seem to be original. I can't find any cut or broken wires.



One time when I was diddling with the fuses/relays under the hood I noticed that the digital clock and outside temp displays had returned. The radio was disconnected at that time and before I could get it reconnected they both faded, never to return. Also, there does seem to be some amount of power getting to the radio because sometimes the CD mechanism will cycle when pressing the eject button.



It's a really great car, but this is driving me nuts! I have the radio's wiring schematic, but that still doesn't help with the other items.



Thoughts, comments, suggestions...



Thanks in advance,

Robert

Reply 1 : 1998 Avalon radio, clock, temp, mirror adjustment failure



If you were fiddling with the wiring and it suddenly worked, I would suspect a loose connection or bad ground.



I had that issue once with my 98 and found when I removed the trunk bulb, it caused the clock, power trunk release and door locks to stop working. Once I reinstalled the bulb, everything worked again. I know it sounds weird, but you might look at a loose or non-functioning bulb.

Reply 2 : 1998 Avalon radio, clock, temp, mirror adjustment failure



Finally found the problem. After tearing almost everything apart and putting it back together, I noticed that touching the fuse made a difference. Turned out to be a loose fuse connector in the fuse block. By bending the fuse legs in opposite directions, I was able to maintain reliable contact and it's working all the time. Sometimes the simplest of solutions are the hardest to find!

Reply 3 : 1998 Avalon radio, clock, temp, mirror adjustment failure



I would replace the fuse or keep extras just in-case. There is actually pockets where you can store extra fuses in the fuse cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment