Saturday, March 19, 2011

This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



I just about have the motor put together. Thought I would share one last picture of the motor before it goes into the MR2, or what once would have been the Camry.

I still need to do some various things: install the clutch disc and pressure plate, the timing belt tensioner, as well as getting the timing marks lined to 0 degrees, hoses from hell, install A/C compressor and alternator. Still doing a little research on the timing as I don't fully understand how that works yet; I know how the engine works, its the concept of setting it up to run and degreeing which I don't get

I was looking at the clearance on my motor to the transmission for the down pipe and I used my (still for sale) Camry downpipe to see how sharp of an angle I can run the DP and clear everything.

This post basically serves as a memory of the Camry I put so much damn time and money into and in the end was completely abandoned. Now as an MR2 project, it should be finished in the next couple weeks as time allows me to finish it.

Finally, as advice for everyone: Someone once told me "A car is just a car. Enjoy the better things in life." I wish I listened a lot sooner. I officially retire from cars after this project






Reply 1 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



At least your car will go really fast



Looks like your in for some fun.. And don't say your done cause you know your gonna wanna work on it once you get it done hehe



Good luck though!

Reply 2 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



good luck with the project, what kind of power goals are you looking for??

Reply 3 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



Really impressive build bro. Sorry to hear that you are done with cars. There is a lot more to life then cars, but cars is also a passion to us car people. You may stop for a while but eventually you will start with something else. I will let you know when i make it up to Fort Walton Beach that way we can meet up.

Reply 4 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...




Quote:








Originally Posted by Mister_Perkins
View Post

Looks like your in for some fun.. And don't say your done cause you know your gonna wanna work on it once you get it done hehe



lol Everyone has been telling me that I'll end up buying another car and starting another project all over again. Not a chance!




Quote:








Originally Posted by Rapeacivic
View Post

Really impressive build bro. Sorry to hear that you are done with cars. There is a lot more to life then cars, but cars is also a passion to us car people. You may stop for a while but eventually you will start with something else. I will let you know when i make it up to Fort Walton Beach that way we can meet up.



This project has become almost to the point of obsession that I have to quit. I've put off so much personal "fun" off onto this project but I have enjoyed building it. But the bad has outweighed the good by far. I've been screwed so many times over, I could have bought two used Gen 3's with that money. While it goes to show how committed I am, there has been way too much stress to deal with along the way. I'm going to move on after this for sure lol



My goals are to max out the turbo (520hp) with at least 450lbs/tq on pump gas.

I have (not installed) wastegate springs to boost to 27.5lbs.

ATS told me that with my set up, I can daily drive a GT35R.

This motor is built to run over 800whp, with the exception of the fuel injectors and turbo.

Reply 5 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



Jeeeeezus. Impressive numbers you're going for there. That IS a 3s-gte, right?

Reply 6 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



5sgte!

Reply 7 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



wow! nice job!



Care to post what your running as far as internals and whatnot?

Reply 8 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



Copied and pasted so there could be some non-engine parts:



ATP Excess Oil Accumulator (Catch Can) Kit Rev.3

HKS BOV SSQ Ver. 2

4" Conical Filter

91-92 3SGTE Cylinder Head (rebuilt): GSC Power-Division S1 Cams 268/268, Engle Valve Springs, Ferrea 6000 Series 1mm Oversized Valves, OEM retainers, guides, locks, etc., 3 Angle Valve Job, decked, ATS Racing adjustable Cam Gears, Greddy Timing Belt, NGK BKR7E Spark Plugs, OEM wire set, Cap, Rotor.

Ignition: MSD-6200 (MSD 6A), MSD-8223 (MSD blaster 3 coil), MSD-8213 (blaster coil bracket), MSD-8910 (tach adapter), MSD-8823 (MSD vibration mounts). All wired by yours truly for 2-step

AEM EMS Full Standalone

GT3076R w/ ceramic coated housing and turbo jacket.

Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Aeromotive A1000 13101 FPR

A2W Intercooled: X02 Racing A2W Intercooler, 2003 Ford Lightning LPF Heat Exchanger, Jabsco Water Pump, Canton Racing 2Gal coolant tank modified w/ radiator cap for street use.

Mishimoto Turbo Radiator

ATS Racing Chromoly Inner CV axle cages

Wolfkatz Fuel Rail and 870cc Delphi Fuel Injectors

Custom Exhaust Manifold

3SGTE ACT TM1-XTR6: 6 puck, unsprung disc - Capacity: 645 ft/lbs

Quaife LSD

Odyssey PC680 Battery

EMS Powered Engine Lid Shroud

Dual 11" SPAL fans

Speed-Source Brass Shift Cable bushings

Kirkosaurus Front + Rear Poly Motor Mount inserts

Injected Performance SS Braid Clutch Line

+98 Camry 2.3L Stroker Block, vatted, honed, decked, blueprinted

5SFE forged crank machined to fit 3SGTE Rods

Eagle Forged Connecting Rods

L19 ARP Head Studs

ATS Racing 5SGTE Head Gasket

ARP Main Studs

ACL Race Bearings

Custom ATS Forged Pistons built by Wiseco 8.3:1 CR 88mm

ATS Racing 5L Intake Manifold w/ 75mm TB Inlet

Holley 75MM Throttle body

ATS Racing Phenolic Spacer

3SGTE Clutchmasters Flywheel

Tial Wastegate 38mm (currently 8lbs), Big Green and Big Blue Spring (27.x lbs)

Reply 9 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



please tell about how you got screwed over, for me and anyone else interested in building a 5sgte. Unless I've missed it posted else where.

Reply 10 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



he has been screwed over quite a bit. this project has morphed and changed for years no.



I cant wait to see this and honestly am glad its not goin in a camry, it couldnt handle the power nearly as well as your MR2. its an inpiration for me to go with the MR2 route in teh future.

Reply 11 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



First, I paid $2300 PLUS the ~$500 on paint I supplied for my current paint job and the person who painted it (friend's dad) closed his shop soon after. He didn't properly prep my car for paint: clearcoat wasn't smooth, original clearcoat wasn't completely taken off, paint chipped off certain areas, oversprayed everywhere, bondo wasn't completely sanded down, etc etc. I brought my car to him at least 5 times and all he kept doing was detailing it and never did ANY work. The last time I showed up, I found out he transferred ownership to someone else. Since then, my paint has been bubbling and my clear coat has been coming off. I recently had to sand down my roof and prime with with rattle can primer.

Second, the Allen Serban story. I paid $1300 for a modified cylinder head that I never received and he said it was MY fault. He neglected to get the head rebuilt from a shop for 3 months and kept my money after they closed down. He kept telling me they were working on it and it became apparent after a while that he left it at the shop. Again, he blamed me for it because I paid him the money.

Third was the Luis Lora aka Team Redline Performance issue. I paid him about $4500 for the turbo, custom FMIC kit, manifold and downpipe, wastegate and various other things when he got approved for a vendor type status. He started the group buy for some Gen 3 CAI’s and never delivered them. After a few months, he disappeared completely and no one knew where he went. I found out from a friend of his on here that he moved to Orlando. I eventually tracked him down after almost a year and gave him a call at his work. I eventually retrieved my parts after TWO visits to Orlando. The first time I was supposed to collect everything but it was all bolted onto his car. I made another attempt and got everything 6 months later. Come to find out he gave me “discounts” on parts then charged me “tax,” and I STILL ended up spending more for all of the parts which I could have got online. I never did bother to try figure out how much I lost, but this was definitely one stressful time knowing that someone out there has $5000 of my parts.

Fourth was MCS motorsports. That is a much longer story which I’ll obviously keep short. As being the next best alternative to ATS Racing, I went with them to build my block as ATS customers claimed long wait times. Typically, builds take 6 weeks, but people claimed 6 months. For what it was, I called MCS and they said they will deliver in 6 weeks for sure. Obviously that didn’t happen after paying them about $6000 for parts. After 8 months, I find out from Nick, who was a mechanic and always took the calls, that he was planning on quitting and that he had a strong feeling that Shaun was going to shut down and take everyone’s money. He was officially correct 2-3 months later. By the 11th month, I finally told Shaun I was going to drive there and pick everything up. 1350 miles of a drive and he knew it was long and tried to talk me out of it. Nope. I was firm and decided to go there and pick everything up. Once I got there, I found out that the motor/crank was contracted out to be machined (which I picked up), it was unassembled, and failed to tell me it was built as a 5SFTE stroker and was dismantled because someone used the wrong bearings. I went to Shaun’s secret storage unit where he kept an inventory of used motor parts and regular inventory and just gave me parts to compensate loss. Of those parts, I probably made about $1000 by selling it back into the community. So compared to the $6000 I put down, approximately $5000 was lost.



I know I’ve probably forgotten about one or two more significant fuck-overs, but I’ve just put those behind me because it was too much to deal with.

But between all of those I listed, I’ve received various junk parts from MR2OC which was partially my fault because I neglected to ask for pictures. Now I make sure I get pictures first. You’ll be surprised how much harder it is to find parts when you lay down more requirements to a transaction.



But Bird is right, its been about 6 years in the making now. Damn time flies.

Reply 12 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



Bro, I understand your situation and you probably aren't the only one who has suffered through them. If you no longer have a passion for cars, then by all means stop. It just don't let these crew up stop you from doing the car thing. Just learn from this, and deal with the right people. Can't stress this out to everyone RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH! Also measure your parts from your vendors. You have to double check your purchases. Rich your 2 will be a monster. Has for i hope my 5SFTE build would be a success even though it won't be as fun as a 5sgte but I'm not going to let that stop me from my dreams. But like i said I'm glad your build is done, I'm happy that you've chosen what you makes you happy. Congratz man! hopefully I'll get to you see in person, and hopefully show off my build to you and yours to me.

Reply 13 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



Dude thats nuts. it's so damn fustrating how some people you go through don't deliver after the money is sent/paid. atm going through a some what similar situation, but damn, it's pennies VS what you paid and lost.



Either way, it's a learning lession for all of us (for me, on example is for pictures first...as what you've said). Glad that you'll be finshing the project up finally.



Never really seen a '5SGTE' come to life, so this will be the first.



Best of luck getting it going

Reply 14 : This would have been the day the Camry would be done...



^I've come to realize that when it comes to big dollar transactions, people are hesitant - actually they refuse - to give your money back. They'll come up with any and every excuse when they can't deliver in a reasonable amount of time. That's why it's just best to deal with the absolutely most trusted people regardless of reputation. Just like Creeps said, if you're dealing with a Company, RESEARCH!! If you're dealing with a person, pay with a credit card that way Paypal won't F you over and regardless of the other party's word, refund if they don't deliver promptly.

This whole project is a big lesson and mostly what I learned is that you can't trust anyone

Hopefully there are no road bumps with this project and I can actually make it to future meets.

No comments:

Post a Comment