Saturday, March 26, 2011

Largest 18" tires without mods



Hi everyone Im new and have been searching without succes. I want to know what is the tallest tires that will fit on 18x8.5 rims (38 offset) without rubbing? I have a 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS.

Will 235/50/18 be too tall?

Reply 1 : Largest 18" tires without mods



Why do you want taller tires for? Do you want your speedometer to be off so that your odometer is off? And by off I mean not correct.

Reply 2 : Largest 18" tires without mods




Quote:








Originally Posted by tarick
View Post

Hi everyone Im new and have been searching without succes. I want to know what is the tallest tires that will fit on 18x8.5 rims (38 offset) without rubbing? I have a 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS.

Will 235/50/18 be too tall?



I have a 19 with a 225 45 I just think that a 50 series on a 18 will look silly with that much meat.BUT im sure it will fit..

Reply 3 : Largest 18" tires without mods




Quote:








Originally Posted by 09CamrySE3R3
View Post

Why do you want taller tires for? Do you want your speedometer to be off so that your odometer is off? And by off I mean not correct.



I want taller tires for more cushion so that the ride doesnt feel as rough. My last car (acura el 1.6) I had 215/35/18. Looked sweet but ride was shitty, u felt every lil imperfection on the road....and potholes.... whenever I dropped in one, it felt like my rims were about to break.

Reply 4 : Largest 18" tires without mods



Wait - don't over compensate in aspect ratio based on a sports car's ride. That would be a big mistake.



The difference between the size you're looking at and the stock size of 215/55-17 would actually result in a decrease in sidewall height (measurement between the road and the rim) and that's the opposite of what you're saying you want to achieve. Not only that - the other differences are greater diameter, greater circumference and so forth.



The result of going with your suggested size would result not only in the speedometer and odometer being off by more than 3% (the speedo would indicate just over 57mph @ 60mph), the change would have negative efffect on shift points, suspension geometry, turning radius, (probably) body rub, and braking distance. Matter of fact, as I entered the two tire sizes into a calculator - your suggested tire size actually triggered a warning that said anything over a 3% increase in circumference would have negative effect on braking.



My recommendation would be to concentrate on selecting the right type of tire. There are lots of good tires specifically made for touring cars like the Avalon. Go research those and let us know how it worked out for ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment