Sunday, March 20, 2011

strange engine noise



My wife's 03 4cyl highlander is making a strange whooshing noise. I wish I had a better word to describe it. It sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine - my thought it that it might be a timing belt idler. It gets increasingly louder with engine speed. It doesn't really sound like the timing chain - I am clueless on this one and wondered if anyone might have any ideas? It is definetely not the serpentine belt and everything is running fine.



A little background - I had the rear head bolts pull out last fall and fixed them with an insert kit sold on ebay(huhn - if I recall) . I was told by the shop that did the work that they are very confident that I won't have any issues for the life of the vehicle. This was about 7,000 miles ago. They looked at the timing chain at this point and everything looked good - no replacement.



Another thing that might be worth adding is that I noticed the noise after taking the suv for a 600 mile weekend trip - the first time it's had several hundred miles of use in one day. Now we hear the noise all of the time.



Anyone had this trouble?



Thanks!

Reply 1 : strange engine noise



Oh - and I always use a good synthetic motor oil that is changed regularly. I recently tried putting some lucas additive to quite things down but it didn't make any improvement.

Reply 2 : strange engine noise



It happens to me and turn out they had a tsb on my camry brake booster tube, take it to the dealer and the should do it 4 free





Here is a link : http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...93#post3511393

No comments:

Post a Comment