Wednesday, March 23, 2011

06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



Have an 2006 Corolla LE with 41/K. Check Engine Light (CEL) came on. Dealer diagnostics showed code P2716 which indicates bad ECM. Will replace under warrenty but ECM on backorder and dealer said pick up car and drive it until ECM comes in (that was a week ago). In getting an update as to the ECM dealer says it is 2 to 3 weeks off and they now tell me they have 4 cars (infer Corollas) with the same problem.



Any toyota techs out there ... question in driving the car the CEL light now stays on constantly and trans is shifting real hard and engine does not seem to run smoothly. Am I damaging the trans or engine in driving the car? Any idea if the ECM's are a widespread problem or just with Corolla's (have a friend with a RAV4)? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Reply 1 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



First I've heard of bad batches of ECM.



P2716 - Pressure Control Solenoid



This is on a stock car correct?

Reply 2 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?




Quote:








Originally Posted by w203


First I've heard of bad batches of ECM.



P2716 - Pressure Control Solenoid



This is on a stock car correct?







Car is stock ... no modifications ... my commuter car. In saying P2716 = pressure control solenoid ... is that the transmission? I did some searches on the forum and that code did not come up.

Reply 3 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla S with 35000 miles, and the ECM just went bad. The car is still under the original factory warranty (3year / 36000 miles), but it's also good to know the ECM is good for 8 years / 80000 miles, under the fedeal emissions warranty.



The car just shut off while driving with no warning signs. It wouldn't restart, unless I let it cool down for 10-20 mins. then it would shake violently. Got it to the local Toyota Dealership and the ECM was changed the next day.



Upon receiving the car back I reviewed the receipt only to find out they there was a Technical Service Bulletin in reference to 2005-2007 Toyota Corolla & Matrix ECMs. TSB EG042-07 (Sepetember 20th 2007). Toyota knew about this problem with the ECMs, but didnt' recall??



Now the car "should" be running fine with no problems, but it's a Toyota I expected there to be NO PROBLEMS when I first purchased the car. 35000 miles equals a brand new car to me.

Reply 4 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



My 06 Corolla 33k decided to turn itself off while I was doing 70mph in freeway traffic. Luckily I pulled over safely. Would start, but run rough/weak and die. Same TSB EGO42-07 problem, fixed same day at dealership, no cost. My co-worker has an 06 corolla, and it had the same problem, at about the same mileage. This should really be a recall because what if I was passing someone on the highway or turning left! It could have been really, really bad. According to the TSB dated 9-20-2007, they are at least replacing the old ECM with one which has a different part number so it is presumably upgraded. I found a copy of the Toyota TSB online by googling EG042-07. The TSB states that it is covered under the 8yr/80000 mile Toyota Federal Emissions warranty, so don't let them charge you.

Reply 5 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



P2000....I had the exact same problem, with the exact same thoughts in mind. Thank God it wasn't worse than what it was. I was local, I could've been on the Highway travelling to my Job in Connecticut from my house in New York.



The problem was fixed the same day, with the NEW ECM. (upgraded) It shouldn't have the same problem, but still cautious.



I actually contacted Toyota Corporate concerning this matter, and they stated that there have not been enough report incidents to justify a recall. If something should happen, Toyota is opening themselves up for big Liabilities if people get wind of the bad batch of ECMs.



Hopefully the problem is fixed for now.

Reply 6 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



I created an account to chime in on this one. My wife's corolla (2006 with 34,000 miles) did it today. She was going down the Interstate with a semi behind her when her car started to lose power. She was able to get off the side of the road, but good thing she wasn't in the middle lane or something. Luckily she was also just a couple miles from the dealer. We took it in and had it replaced...seems like clock work with the ECM though...everyone within +-5k miles of the 36k mile warranty and they die. Hopefully the new one is good.

Reply 7 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



This just happened to me last month. I've got an '07 Corolla S, with 33K miles. I was simply pulling into my parking spot and the moment I shifted it into Park it died. Started it back up but died again within moments. Tried again, this time would not start. Had it towed to the dealership - "Bad ECM". LUCKILY still under waranty otherwise I would be pissed! These are definitely NOT just coincidences. But happy I wasn't the only one. REALLY hope this new ECM is a good one!!!

Reply 8 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



My 2007 corolla turned itself off at 60mph last night. I took it to the dealer this morning and they replaced my ECM. I have just over 36k miles on this car. I hope nobody gets hurt from this problem.

Reply 9 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



I've owned my 2006 Toyota Corolla Sport from 14k and it now has 44k and I haven't had a single problem. I do rember one time I though my car had a slow start but it was only one spudder start then everything has been perfect.

Reply 10 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



Same problem here....was driving my '06 w/80k kms to work today and the engine just sputtered a bit, lost power and ran at idle....I mushed the pedal down and blah....no power....just sat at idle...All of the sunned it comes back and the car just drove like usual....I was thinking frozen gas line or water in the gas....Kept driving and then in the timmy's drivethru it did the same thing, but after a minute it quit. Then I restarted and the CEL was on.....engine running fine....checked oil and etc - all good... One thing I did notice was on the intake there is a solenoid that was clicking constantly, it was dark so I couldn't see what the vacuum line was going to....but it was clicking constantly...Talking to my wife after she mentioned that a few weeks ago the car wouldn't idle down....It was just running at high rpms non stop.....Also, recently we have gotten that sulphur smell that others have been getting....Seems to me Toyota has a serious ECM issue that needs resolving. Seeing so many others on so many forums with the same problems makes me question the reasons I bought toyota to begin with....I would expect the big three to wait until something I paid for breaks before they fix it, and not hope it makes it past the end of the warranty....but TOYOTA???

Reply 11 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



I have just had my ECM replaced today under warranty after my engine check light came on after the car stalled turning into my driveway. I called the dealer asap and they told me to bring it in for a check. Its a 2007 Corolla with 58,000 km (about 36,000 miles).



It was listed on my invoice as Cause: PO607 ECM Malfunction TSB 2588 and the Correction: Replace ECM EE-7024-0.4



Is this the same thing?



This is the first time in driving Toyota for almost 10 years that I ever had a stall in one. I was kind of disappointed and even more disappointed to find out this happening to others too.

Reply 12 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



I have an 07 LE with 35,000 miles on it. The TSB EG042-07 reads in part :



Some 2005 2007 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles equipped with a 1ZZFE

engine may exhibit one or both of the following conditions:

-Engine cranks, but will NOT start

-Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0601, P0606, and/or p0607 stored in theEngine

Control Module or ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM)

Please use the following procedure to repair the vehicle...






I wonder if they would replace the ECM under this TSB if I brought it in and asked them to since I commonly drive distances of 1000 miles or more on a regular basis and don't want a brake-down far form home.



By the way, I originally purchased an 07 Camry LE four cylinder which also had ECM problems (stopped while driving/wouldn't start and had to be towed to the dealer). When they replaced the ECM in that car, it ran OK for a few thousand miles before it started doing it again. Since they couldn't find the cause of the ECM failing repeatedly, I got rid of it and bought this 07 Corolla. So this ECM problem hasn't only been confined to the Corolla.

Reply 13 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



Add one more to the list. I have a 2006 Corolla LE. The ECM just went out at 19,200 miles.

My 19 year-old daughter was 500 miles away from home on a Sunday morning when it went out.

The check engine light came on, then the oil and battery lights, then it lost power. Restarting

after 15 minutes, the car shook and the rpms raced up and down. It had to be towed. Fortunately,

the dealer had the ECM in stock. She still missed one day of college classes and got back at midnight a day late because of this. The ironic thing about this is that we had let her borrow this car because it was

our newest car and we thought it would be least prone to have problems. Shame on Toyota for not

taking care of customers when they know they have a problem. My last 4 new cars have all been Toyotas.

Next time I will look around.

Reply 14 : 06 corolla - bad batch of ECM's?



Ok so quick question.... im buying my 2005 Corolla XRS today.... it has the 6 speed manual trans.... does this motor/model have the same ECM problem? or is it only with the regular automatic corollas?



On top of that... are there any recurring problems with the 2005 XRS that anyone knows about that i should be aware of?



Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment