Friday, March 18, 2011

Timing marks don't line up 5VZ-FE



I just replaced the heads on my 5VZ-FE V6 engine with two from a re-builder. On the left hand head, I lined up the cam gears, one dot to one dot and the timing mark on the timing belt pulley points up. On the right hand head the camshaft gears are aligned two dots to two dots but the timing mark on the timing belt pulley and the pin in the cam point down. That's not the way things should be and it obviously won't work. I have looked and looked but can't see anything the I may have done wrong. Is it possible that a left side intake camshaft was installed in the right side head by the re-builder? I was under the impression that if the camshafts are installed in the wrong heads it would point out of the firewall end of the head.



What am I missing here?

Desperate and needing help










Reply 1 : Timing marks don't line up 5VZ-FE



I have been turning this over all night and after looking at the photos that I took of the RH head, looking forward to #1 cylinder, I realized that the cam lobes for #1 cylinder are not at TDC. Look closely at the attached photo and you should come to the same conclusion that I have. The cams are 180 out even though the gears are properly aligned, two dots to two dots.

I may have overlooked it in the Toyota Manual but I didn't read anything about rotating the RH cams 180 after aligning the dots but that is what we would have to do in order to install the belt. If we did that, #1 would be at TDC but the dots would no longer be aligned. That I idea is almost scary and I wouldn't want to do it without expert advice.




No comments:

Post a Comment