Saturday, March 19, 2011

Monitor Pass (Calif)



Just spent some time on the trails on Monitor Pass. While the pass is loaded with 4wd trails, only one in this grove of Aspens will require 4WD. It may not appear steep, but trust me when I say I was very glad I had 4Lo on the way back down. Going up took some speed as there's a 2 foot deep dip in the road and the dirt was soft/wet enough to cause one front wheel and the rear wheels to spin and dig in (this is when a locker would have been very handy rather than the LSD). Didn't want to go too fast as my stock front bumper probably would have gotten smashed in the dip, but after several attempts we made it up. Slope was maybe 35 degrees (or more)? Anyway, thought I'd share the fall pics (courtesy of my wife).



This is the grove of Aspens with the trails going through them.





The road at the top.





View from above just before dropping back down into the trees...





Sure doesn't look steep going back down...





Little steeper appearance in this pic (and the pics don't do it justice!). Dip/hole in the middle a quarter of the way down with a 2-foot drop on the right. I came up on that side, but went down on the left scraping the trees. This is why I wouldn't want a Sport with painted mirrors as one branch on the way up left a wide scratch across it (just adding to the collection).







This guy seemed to be a little surprised to see us. Look closely and you'll see the eye, mouth, arms, and nose.


Reply 1 : Monitor Pass (Calif)



Awesome! Thanks for posting the pics. I'll have to explore Monitor Pass late next spring when I do one of my Mono Lake trips that time of year. Did you do any camping out while you were up there?




Reply 2 : Monitor Pass (Calif)




Quote:








Originally Posted by TrailDust
View Post

Awesome! Thanks for posting the pics. I'll have to explore Monitor Pass late next spring when I do one of my Mono Lake trips that time of year. Did you do any camping out while you were up there?






Camping? Are you kidding? It was raining the whole time we were out today. I had to run the wipers just before my wife snapped the pics thru the windshield! Woke up this morning at home to some thunder, but luckily we didn't see any lightning while we were out.

No comments:

Post a Comment