Saturday, March 19, 2011

Dex II (or III) vs "Power Steering Fluid"



Does it make a big difference?



I have an '88 Camry wagon/2L/AT



Several months ago, my power steering pump was replaced by a local mechanic. At my request and against his advice, I went with a remanufactured pump. (When times are tough, you gotta do what ya gotta do.) Now, it's leaking again. As far as I know right now, it could be a hose; but I'm not sure. What I do know is that I have fluid all around the pump area. I've been cleaning it off and I hope to have it figured out in the next day or so.



In the mean time, I had topped-off the reservoir with Prestone "power steering fluid." (Go figure.) After some reading here - and elsewhere (namely the FSM) I've learned that I should have been using Dexron II ATF.



I have no idea what was used when the pump was replaced but I do know I've put 3 or 4 oz. of the power steering fluid in the system.



So, my questions:

- Could the power steering fluid be causing or exacerbating my leak?

- Should I flush & replace?

- Am I screwed?



I stopped short of pulling the pump just yet. I'd kinda like to know what's leaking (and why) before I start replacing stuff unnecessarily. What do you guys think?



Thanks!

Reply 1 : Dex II (or III) vs "Power Steering Fluid"



"Several months ago, my power steering pump was replaced by a local mechanic. At my request and against his advice, I went with a remanufactured pump."



Did the mechanic still give you a warranty on the remanufactured pump? If so, and it was only a few months ago, why not take it back to that mechanic and have him check it out.



Mike

Reply 2 : Dex II (or III) vs "Power Steering Fluid"




Quote:








Originally Posted by Mike Gerber
View Post

Did the mechanic still give you a warranty on the remanufactured pump? If so, and it was only a few months ago, why not take it back to that mechanic and have him check it out.



Nope. He made it clear that he would only warrant a pump from a red striped box and no other; too many problems with 'em in the past. The use of the reman was my decision - and assumed risk - to save a buck.



Turns out the leak is in the pressure hose, near the top, hidden behind the foam insulation. Consequently, fluid would travel down the hose to the banjo fitting, making it a little difficult to locate. That being as it may, it's my leak now : (



Charles

Reply 3 : Dex II (or III) vs "Power Steering Fluid"



I had the exact same thing happen on my gen 1. The high pressure hose can't be removed until the pump is out. Yours may be the same. Mine leaked in the same spot. I think all the twisting and pulling trying to get the pump past everything else probably weakened an old hose. Next time I'll change both hoses while I have the pump out. I patched mine very carefully with a tube patch, some tape on top of that and three hose clamps. I don't recommend it but it's been four months and it's still holding although I do check it when I pop the hood. I don't think the fluid will do any damage it's all hydraulic fluid but I would drain and change it. Good Luck, Gene

No comments:

Post a Comment