Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Starter relay































  • amp alternator fuse link [ wire on my car]











??

Reply 1 : Starter relay



Very helpful post, thanks Doctor J

Reply 2 : Starter relay



This is great information ! Thank you doctor J

Reply 3 : Starter relay



Worked like a charm. I don't have to use my starter button anymore to start the car. Woo hoo!

Reply 4 : Starter relay



I'm trying to wire up a relay that triggers a hydrogen generator that I just made. I want to make it so it only runs when the engine is on. I have a 40 amp relay, but just do not know exactly where to connect the wires. One goes to the ground and the other???

Reply 5 : Starter relay



I just want to say Thanks again to Doctor J. for posting this very helpful thread. Also thanks so much for helping a fellow forum member out installing the relay on my camry. My engine bay was a mess until Doctor J. gave it a through exam and fixed everything back where they belongs. Now it starts like a brand spanking new car again.....hehehe.



I can't say Thank You enough!!!






Reply 6 : Starter relay



Thanks for compliments; I also saw again what can happen if someone is using the impact tool to tighten bolts into aluminum part

Reply 7 : Starter relay



hey come and install it on my car too !!!!!!

Reply 8 : Starter relay



WOW... Not all of us are rocket scientists.





I would rather



just run a remote starter switch in under the dash!



Dr. J has been very helpful thogh!

Reply 9 : Starter relay



Here's the short and sweet for all who are like me and don't have the attention span to read all the directions. These are the ones I followed and they worked great.





The relay you need is available at most autoparts stores, it is sometimes used for light accessories such as off-road lights of fog lights, the part number is 610T, 12VDC,30-40AMP rating.

The terminals are marked with numbers, connect it as follows:

Locate the relay as close to the starter as possible, find a place to bolt it on to the frame or any other metal surface.

Connect the #30 terminal on the relay directly to the battery with 10 gauge wire and suitable connectors to the positive terminal of the battery.

Remove the small connector from the starter, it will be used later, connect the #87 terminal from the relay to the starter's small terminal(the one just removed)the terminal on the starter, NOT the wire connector just removed.

Connect the #86 terminal on the relay directly to ground.

Connect the #85 terminal on the relay to the wire that was removed from the starter earlier this wire should be black/yellow or b/w






Reply 10 : Starter relay



10 ga wire size is overkill; 16 should be good enough.

Reply 11 : Starter relay



25A is ok too since that's all they had at my local radio shack(who still goes there ? ).. and since the starter's close to the battery i just grounded it to the car's battery

Reply 12 : Starter relay



Does this fix work on a '91 4 runner with the same issue?



Thanks in advance

Reply 13 : Starter relay



From what I hear it does. That where I originally got my directions from on how to do it.

Reply 14 : Starter relay



this repair was originally suggested by Ted Ritter for his own Rav-4

No comments:

Post a Comment